Goldman Environmental Prize / Global Greengrants Fund
—All information you provide will be kept strictly confidential!—
1. General Information
Please correct any information that we have already filled in.
1. Your organization: KFEM(Korean Federation for Environmental Movement)
2. Name of the person completing this questionnaire: Mr. Choi Yul and Ms. Kim
3. Your position within the organization: Secretary General,
Chief of International Affairs
4. Your email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
5. Your phone number: 82-2-735-7000
6. Your mailing address: 251, Nuhadong, Jongro-gu, Seoul, Korea
7. Your web site: http://www/kfem.or.kr
8. Today’s date:
9. What is your organization’s biggest project right now? (For instance: “We are trying
to stop the building of a dam in the Narmada river.” Or “We are restoring the mangrove
forests on the coasts of West Africa.”)
We are trying to stop huge reclamation project at Saemangeum tidal mud flat in Korea.
This project was halted for 2 years due to strong opposition of environmental NGOs in
Korea but the government finalized to pursue this project on May 25, 2001. The big dike
will be re constructed up to 33 km. We are going to on site big rally on July 7-8, 2001
that all KFEM individual membership will take part in.
10. How many people work at your organization as paid employees? And as volunteers?
Paid staffs : Nationwidely 227 (Headoffice ;83 + 47 local chapters)
Volunteers : Nationalwidly Over 3,000(taxi driver’s correspondent group(large portion),
Green voice, Green Grass, Homemakers, professors, students, is comprising with big
number of taxi driver
11. How much money did your organization spend in 1999 and 2000? (If you could give us
the amount in US dollars that would be very helpful)
1999; 1,607,543 USD; 2,089,806,411 Won(1300 Won : 1 USD)
2000; 1,469,684 USD; 1,910,589,274 Won(1300 Won : 1 USD)
12. How much money does your organization need each year to accomplish its goals?
2. Organizational Readiness and Fundraising Resources
13. Does your organization have a mission statement (one or two sentences that says
why you exist)? What is it?
Let’s make difference hand in hand with KFEM to make an environmentally sustainable
global community. KFEM, one of the pioneering environmental organiztions in Asia, pursues
the common goal of the humankind: environment protection, peace keeping, human rights.
Through educational and legal activities, non-violent(yet fully active) direct campaigns
and policy proposals, we are making any difference possible in all the areas of our
society and on the global level. So let’s make this world the kind of peace for us and
our future generations to live safely and peacefully.
14. Does your organization have goals and objectives that are written down? What
are they? Yes, We have. They are Consitution, Founding Declaration, and KFEM manifesto
15. Do you feel confident about your organization’s accounting, budgetting, and
evaluations processes? Or do you wish to improve them?
Yes. We are confident of our system.
16. What do you consider your organization’s main achievement or experience which could
inspire and assist other NGOs? (Please mention a specific project, activity, innovative
approaches towards—for example—land rights, restoration of degraded land, successful
We would like to co-operate with Asian NGOs. Because environment do not belongs to
specific nation. We have had much experience to preserve our nature and environment in
Korea. Many NGOs in Asian nations want to learn our skills and share experience. So we
have done co-operation program with Mongolian NGOs and Indonesian NGOs from 1998. At that
time, we felt even tiny experience that we have done is very important to them. Because
their national policy to pursue destructive development concept is totally same with
Korea. As a leading NGO in Korea and in Asia as well, we have a responsibility to develop
program and enhance our capacity. But due to financial constraints, we can not help
stopping. This year we designated main item to focus on environmental co-operation among
Asian NGOs. And financially supported, we will implement this program.
17. Does your organization need support (money or something else) to document and share
these experiences? (Please let us know what you would need.) Yes. We need support
financial support and any help.
18. Is your organization legally registered? § Yes No
19. Does your organization have a bank account? § Yes No
20. Can you receive US dollars in that bank account? § Yes No We don’t have a
21. Are donations to your organization tax-deductible in your country? § Yes
22. Are donations to any NGO tax-deductible in your country? q Yes
23. Does your organization have to pay taxes on the donations it receives?
q Yes § No
24. Do you know if your country qualifies for aid or loans from:
• World Bank? § Yes q No q I don’t know
• European Union? § Yes q No q I don’t know
• United States Agency for International Dev’t (USAID)? §§ Yes q No q I
• United Nations (any program)?§ Yes q No q I don’t know
• Dutch foreign aid agencies such as NOVIB, HIVOS, etc.? § Yes q No q I
25. Do you know if your country has a National Environmental Fund?
§ Yes, it has q No, it does not have one q I don’t know, if it has one
If your country does have a National Environmental Fund, does your organization get money
§ Yes, it does q No, it does not
— Continued from the last page: Organizational Readiness and Fundraising Resources—
26. Do you know about the resources available from:
• Synergos? § Yes q No
• World Wildlife Fund (WWF)? § Yes q No
• Conservation International (CI)? § Yes q No
• The Nature Conservancy (TNC)? § Yes q No
• Global Environment Facility (GEF)? § Yes q No
• Both ENDS (an NGO in the Netherlands)? § Yes q No
27. Have you had any help (help that is NOT money) with your fundraising from any
organization? Which? WWF/Both Ends gave their hands to us sending a support message when
we have campaigned environmentally destructive project by Central government. For the
GEF, we are doing small grant program on Tumen river protection program from this year.
3. Fundraising Information – The way you do your fundraising now
28. Where has the money for your organization come from in the past year? (Please put in
percentages how much of your whole budget comes from each source. It is OK to guess or
estimate if you don’t know the precisely!)
___% Your own money or that of your family
53% Members of your organization (memberships/dues)
___% People in your community making donations of money
___% People outside your community but in your country making donations of
___% People outside your country making donations of money
___% Other. Please tell us:
Our own fundrasing program 30% / Project 17 %
b. Governments; Not at all
___% Your local government
___% Your state or provincial government
___% Your country’s government
___% The government of another country — which?
___% Embassies — which? ______________________________________________________
___% Other. Please tell us:
c. Foundations ;
0.5% Foundations in your own country (please list them)
0% Foundations from other countries (please list them)
15% Businesses in your own country (please list them)
Samsung Global Environment Institute / LG Environment and Security Institute /
Yuhan Kimberly / Hanhwa Co.
0% Businesses from other countries (please list them)
— Continued from the last page: Fundraising Information – The way you do your
e. International Aid Agencies (please list them) 0 %
f. Religious groups such as churches, mosques, synagogues, temples, etc. (please
list them) 0%
g. g.Fundraising activities such as barbeques, rummage sales, auctions, etc.
(please list them) 17%
h. Any other source of money (please list) ___%
Selling the t-shirts and Books / Organising Green Concert and tea shop
i. Sources of “in-kind” donations: donations of materials instead of money, or
volunteer time (please list) Computers from Samsung Co
j. Services provided for a fee (please list) ___%
29. Which organizations have you asked for money (written a proposal) but have denied a
grant? Please tell us WHY you didn’t get funded, if you know that.
organization reason you did not get money
30. How much of your time do you spend on fundraising now?
Mr. Choi always
Ms. Kim choony half of my time
31. Is there anybody else in your organization who does fundraising? How much of his/her
time? Yes. There is a fundrasing part. Their job is to making fund always.
32. When you ask for money, for what activity do you ask it?
___ General support
§ Money for the programs and campaigns
§ Money for capacity building (making your organization work better)
___ Money for capital campaigns (buying large items that last a long time, such
___ Other. Please tell us: __________________________________________
— Continued from the last page: Fundraising Information – The way you do your
33. What is the greatest difficulty your organization has in raising money for its
work? Lacking of idea and lacking of recognition of sources
34. What activity has been the most successful in raising money for your
organization’s work? Construction of Eco center
4. You ask us for what you need in fundraising
———This is our most important question!———
35. What fundraising skills would you like to learn most?
To develop idea on Goods development and cultural event.
36. What kind of fundraising would you like to learn more about? (Please number them in
the order of your interest: #1 next to the kind of fundraising you are most intersted in,
#2 next to what you would like to learn after that, etc.)
1 People in your community making donations of money
2 People outside your community but in your country making donations of money
3 People outside your country making donations of money
4 Members of your organization (memberships/dues)
9 Your local government
8 Your state or provincial government
7 Your country’s government
___ The government of another country — which?
___ Embassies — which?
5 Foundations in your own country
6 Foundations from other countries
— Continued from the last page: You ask us for what you need in fundraising—
15 Businesses in your own country
Businesses from other countries
e. 14 International Aid Agencies
f. 13 Religious groups such as churches, mosques, synagogues, temples, etc.
g. 10 Fundraising events such as barbeques, rummage sales, auctions, walkathons, etc.
h. 11 “In-kind” donations: donations of materials or volunteer time
i. 12 Fees for service
j. ___ Any other source of money you would like to learn more about (please list some
ideas if you have any)
37. Besides learning about various forms of fundraising, what other kinds of support
could you receive to facilitate your fundraising efforts?
Educational program for activists.
3. About our project
38. What would be the best tool for you to improve your fundraising?
3 A workbook about fundraising
4 A website about fundraising
1 A workshop about fundraising
2 A fundraising consultant who can help me create a customized fundraising plan
___ Something else, please tell us: __________________________________________
39. What advice could you give us as we continue with this project?
40. Is there anything else we have forgotten to ask?