International Day of Action
to Defend the Brazilian Amazon
August 22, 2011
Scroll down to see a list of planned international actions.
Over the last two months, Brazilians have witnessed an alarming assault on the Amazon and the people who live there.
- The government approved construction of the disastrous Belo Monte Dam, allowing heavy machinery to break ground on the banks of the Xingu River.
- The Brazilian Congress is on the verge of approving a major rollback of the Brazilian Forestry Code, already causing a huge spike in deforestation.
- Leading forest guardians have been victims of murder and intimidation.
This is one of the defining environmental struggles of our times; the assault on the Amazon must stop! We, the international community, need to stand in solidarity with the growing numbers of Brazilians calling for environmental sanity and respect for human rights in the Amazon. Together, we can make a difference.
You can help protect the Amazon!
Brazilians are increasingly organizing protests throughout the country. Saturday August 20 will be massive day of action in at least 22 Brazilian cities. Antonia Melo, a key leader of the movement to stop the Belo Monte Dam, has asked people to organize protests around the world on Monday August 22 in front of their local Brazilian Embassy or Consulate.
- Below find a list of the international actions already planned.
- If there is not already an action happening near you and you want to organize your own, find your nearest Brazilian Embassy or Consulate.
- Organize an event in front of an Embassy or Consulate during business hours on Monday, August 22, 2011.It can be anything from a small gathering of a few individuals handing out leaflets and holding up signs to a high-profile public action, including theatrical or musical presentations. The more creative and visual, the better.
- Register your action by filling out the form below.
- Create a Facebook event and add it to our Facebook page and so people can find and join your event.
- Download materials for your action
- If you can’t attend an event, please consider making a donation to support the resistance movement in Brazil.
- For more information: Movimento Xingu Vivo Para Sempre, Brasil Pelas Florestas, Amazon Watch, International Rivers
|Country||City||Location||Date||Time||Link to More Information|
|Australia||Canberra, ACT||Brazilian Embassy – Canberra. 19 Forster Crescent, Yarraluma||Monday, 22||1:00pm – 4:00pm||http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=138340882919274|
|Canada||Toronto, Ontario||Embassy of Brazil in Toronto – 77. Bloor Street West, Suite 1109||Monday 22||3:00pm – 4:30pm||http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=233308610041249|
|England||London||Embassy of Brazil London||Monday, 22||1:00pm||http://www.facebook.com/pages/Indigenous-at-Heart-UK/212722948777545|
|France||Paris||Court of Human Rights, Place du Trocadéro||Saturday, 20||3:00pm – 6:00pm||http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=255801167770958|
|Germany||Berlin||Brazilian Embassy in Berlin||Monday, 22||2:30pm||http://www.facebook.com/pages/Belo-Monte-Action-Day-Berlin/215211968529540?sk=info|
|Iran||Tehran||Brazilian Embassy in Tehran||Monday, 22||10:00am -11:00am||http://www.facebook.com/pages/%D8%B1%D9%88%D8%B2-%D8%AC%D9%87%D8%A7%D9%86%DB%8C-%D8%A7%D9%82%D8%AF%D8%A7%D9%85-%D8%AC%D9%87%D8%AA-%D8%AD%D9%81%D8%A7%D8%B8%D8%AA-%D8%A7%D8%B2-%D8%AC%D9%86%DA%AF%D9%84-%D9%87%D8%A7%DB%8C-%D8%A2%D9%85%D8%A7%D8%B2%D9%88%D9%86-%D8%AF%D8%B1-%D8%A7%DB%8C%D8%B1%D8%A7%D9%86/143819772369242|
|Indonesia||Jakarta||Brazilian Embassy, Jakarta||Monday, 22||12:00pm|
|Mexico||Guadalajara||Brazilian Consulate in Guadalajara||Monday, 22||12:30pm – 3:30pm||http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=198506943544053|
|Netherlands||Hague||Brazilian Embassy in The Hague, Netherlands||Monday, 22||8:30am – 5:00pm||https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=231142370260183|
|Portugal||Lisbon||Brazilian Consulate, Lisbon||Saturday 20||3:00pm – 6:00pm||http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=165773423492207|
|Scotland||Edinburgh||From Carlton Hill to the Meadows||Monday, 22||12:00pm||http://www.facebook.com/pages/Holding-hands-across-roads-and-dams/134221176669035|
|Taiwan||Taipei||Nearest embassy or consulate||Monday, 22||2:00pm – 5:00pm||http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=173991946007182|
|Turkey||Ankara||Brazilian Embassy, Ankara||Monday, 22||11:00am-12:00pm||https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=209448452437706|
|United States||Washington, DC||Brazilian embassy in Washington D.C – Georgetown||Monday, 22||12:30pm||https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=139792566108832|
|United States||Salt Lake City, Utah||Utah Brazilian Consulate, 180 South 300 West, Suite 130||Monday, 22||TBD||http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=128683320558048|
|United States||New York City, NY||Brazilian Consulate, Ave. of the Americas and 47th St. NYC||Monday, 22||12:00PM||http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=104757829626103|
|United States||San Francisco||San Francisco Brazilian Consulate – 300 Montgomery street, Suite 900, San Francisco, CA 94104||Monday, 22||8:30am – 11:30am||http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=244982158858162|
|United States||Miami||Lincon Rd and Washington Ave||Saturday, 20||6:00pm – 9:00pm||http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=230753350295520&ref=ts|
|Wales||Wrexham||Monday, 22||1:00pm – 5:00pm||https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=206452196075221|